Thai Beef with Chiles and Basil Over Coconut Rice
I use a rice cooker for the coconut rice.Â I just pour the coconut milk over the rinsed rice and add water to the fill line of the rice cooker.
- 1 1/4 cups jasmine rice
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 long hot peppers or red jalapeno chiles, seeded and sliced into 2-inch matchsticks
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef sirloin
- 1 cup loosely packed torn fresh basil leaves
- Lime wedges, for serving
In a medium saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk, 3/4 cup water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes.
When rice is almost done, combine fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl; set aside. Heat a cast-iron skillet or wok over high. Add oil and heat; add garlic and half the chiles. Cook, stirring constantly, 15 seconds. Add beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until completely browned, about 4 minutes. Add soy mixture and cook 30 seconds. Add basil and remaining chiles and stir to combine. Serve beef over coconut rice with lime wedges.