We all liked this, even the boys. I used fresh mushrooms and next time I’ll use a whole cup of rice.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
MAKES: 4 servings
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained, or 1/2 cup fresh, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
In a large skillet, cook the chicken, onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons broth until chicken juices run clear. Stir in the green pepper, mushrooms, bay leaf, oregano, basil, pepper and remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Add the rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender. Add the spaghetti sauce; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally found here: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-cacciatore-skillet