COZY CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced to ¼ in half rings
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ frozen peas
- 4 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cups heavy cream
- In a 6-quart dutch oven, cook chicken over medium-high heat until brown on both sides. Once chicken pieces are browned, remove and set aside.
- Add carrot and onion and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for another minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add butter and flour, stirring constantly for 3 minutes to avoid lumps.
- Add chicken and any accumulated juices back to dutch oven and stir to to coat in roux/vegetable mix. Add chicken broth, cream, thyme, and bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Once soup is at a simmer, add frozen peas and cover.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and cream. Stir until mixture comes together into single mass of dough.
- Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, form dough into small round balls about 1 inch in diameter (this dough mixture should yield 14-16 dumplings).
- Place dough balls into simmering soup (making sure they don’t touch), and cover. Let soup simmer for 15 minutes or until dumplings are cooked (they should pass the toothpick test).
- Ladle into bowl, giving 1-2 dumplings per serving.